Monday, June 28, 2010

Goodbye to Eastern Europe (and my phone and money), hello Austria.

The air-conditioning on the Belgrade-Vienna train was only marginally better than in our previous sauna. However not only did we each lose a few pounds, but also some dollars and Euros too, as someone managed to open the door of our sleeping compartment, despite it being locked from the inside, and removed my iPhone and the contents of my wallet. The police in Vienna were very understanding. As they explained, this is a frequent occurrence. I did not help by leaving my trousers, with the phone and wallet inside, too close to the door. We live and learn.

Vienna was cold and wet. It poured all day so we spent the afternoon in the Natural History Museum, and then went for coffee and cakes in an old traditional Viennese coffee house. Elspeth likes Vienna, having spent time there on school trips. I find it rather cold and unwelcoming, populated by frosty matriarchs with an average age of 63, . We choose to differ.

No comments:

Post a Comment